Can Electrical Wiring Be Water Damaged?

Fast read

Electrical wiring can sustain water damage which may lead to insulation or termination failures, especially if exposed to polluted floodwaters. Damaged wires can be a significant safety hazard, potentially causing short circuits or fires.

If exposed wires get wet, they can exacerbate the electric current, posing an electrical fire or electrocution risk. Unexposed wires, when wet, usually don't present immediate danger; they should be dried before reuse.

Major water damage to electrical systems necessitates immediate shutdown of electricity and consultation with a professional electrician. In essence, while unexposed wet wires might not be of immediate concern, exposed ones can be dangerous. Always prioritise safety and consult experts if water damage occurs.

Can electrical wiring be water damaged?

Electrical wiring is a much bigger part of our lives than most people realise. So what happens if your electrical wires get water damaged? This article will explain what can happen if your electrical wires get wet.

Flood-damaged wires and cables should be replaced to provide a safe and functional electrical system. Wire and cable products can be damaged by mould or rust when they touch water or too much moisture. This damage can occur when the products are exposed to these elements for a prolonged period. Mold and rust can weaken the wires and cables, leading to potential safety hazards.

Keeping wire and cable products dry and away from moisture is important to prevent damage. Regular inspections and maintenance can help identify any potential issues early on.

Insulation or termination failures can occur because of this damage if the components have been exposed to seawater during storms or inland floods where there may be large concentrations of chemicals, oils or fertilisers. The situation can be more serious.

To determine if a wire or cable has been in polluted floodwater, an electrical contractor needs to check it. When activated, the flood-damaged wire may not break down immediately. The wire may take months to break down because of floodwater damage.

What happens if exposed wires get wet?

Electrical wires usually comprise three different wires – a live wire, neutral wire and copper ground. These wires can become exposed if there is a break in the socket or the plastic coasting. If these exposed electrical wires are damaged by water, there may be an issue.

As water can conduct electricity, the electric current can be exacerbated. Hopefully, this will only cause a short circuit, and your circuit breaker will stop the electricity. However, if your electricity does not turn off, the water can cause damage to the socket and create an electrical hazard.

If this happens, do not touch the wire. The wire will still be alive and conduct a lot of electricity. If you were to touch it, the electricity would pass through your body.

Instead, manually turn your electricity off from your circuit breaker. If there is a fire, put the fire out, then turn the electricity off to prevent the fire from getting bigger. From this point, you must contact an electrician to replace the damaged wire.

water damaged electrical wiring
Water-damaged electrical wires can be detrimental

What happens if unexposed electrical wires get water damage?

Electrical safety-wise, unexposed wires getting wet are generally less of a concern than exposed wires. It’s best to keep wires dry, but if they do get wet, the risk is usually low. In most cases, when unexposed wires come into contact with water, nothing happens at all.

If you see wet wires that are not covered, unplug the wire from the socket. This will help avoid any electrical dangers. Allow the wire to dry naturally in a well-ventilated area. Once the wire is completely dry, you can safely plug it back in, and your electrical appliance should be back up and running as usual.

For those who want to take extra precautions, investing in a portable appliance tester can be beneficial. These testers are available at hardware stores and allow you to check the appliance’s functionality and safety before using it again. This additional step can provide peace of mind and ensure that the appliance is in good working condition after exposure to moisture.

In summary, while it’s best to keep all wires dry to maintain electrical safety, unexposed wet wires usually pose minimal risk. By following these simple steps and considering additional safety measures like appliance testing, you can effectively manage and mitigate any concerns related to wet wires and ensure the continued safe operation of your appliances.

What to do if there is major water damage

You must do two things if your electrical wires are majorly damaged from water. The first is to turn off your electricity immediately. As previously mentioned, water can exacerbate the conduction of electricity, and if left on, this can create issues. If you cannot find your circuit breaker or where to turn your electricity off, contact your electricity provider as soon as possible and ask them to cut it off.

The second thing you need to do is to contact a qualified electrician. You should look for a locally trusted electrician to ensure no long waiting time, and they will do a good job. After they assess and fix the issue, ask them if any rewiring throughout the house is necessary.

So to answer the question, electrical wires can get water damaged. With this information, you should now know what to do if your wires are damaged, in a safe manner.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find your local installer