What to do if my electricity power point is sparking or smelling burned?

Fast read

If you detect sparks or a burning smell from a power outlet, your first step is to turn off the power at the switchboard to prevent further damage or fire risk. If the issue is isolated to a specific circuit, switch off that circuit and disconnect any devices from the affected outlet.

Prioritise safety by not touching the outlet or surrounding objects. If a fire has started, use a fire extinguisher and avoid water due to electrical risks. Ventilate the area and contact a qualified electrician to inspect and repair the outlet, as well as address any potential hazards in your home. Refrain from using the outlet until it's fixed. The main causes of sparking are faulty wiring and circuit overloads.

Faulty wiring restricts electricity flow, leading to overheating and sparking, while circuit overloads result from connecting too many appliances to one outlet. Address electrical issues promptly and prioritise safety.

Why is your PowerPoint sparking

If you can see or hear a power point sparking or smell a burning smell from the power point, the first thing to do is turn the power off from the switchboard. This ensures that no power is being supplied, removing the risk of further damage or fire. The easiest way to do this is to switch off the power via the main switch, which will disconnect power to the whole house.

If you have a dedicated circuit for one part of the house, including that sparking power point, switch off that circuit. You will still have power to the rest of the house. Then, switch off and remove any appliances connected to that PowerPoint.

Contacting an electrician to come to the home and inspect, repair, or replace the PowerPoint is important. They will also check the rest of the house for any potential risks. If needed, the electrician will fix the potential risks.

How to fix a sparking PowerPoint

  1. Setting your safety as a priority is the most important step. Cut off the power to the impacted power point right away. Find your home’s electrical circuit breaker panel and turn off the circuit for that specific outlet. Also, shut off the main power switch. This ensures all electricity is unplugged if you cannot determine the proper circuit.
  2. When the power source is shut off, avoid touching the power outlet or any nearby objects because they might still be charged. Physical contact could cause electric shocks or other injuries, and the burning smell and sparking noises could point to a significant electrical issue.
  3. Extinguish any fire that may have started as soon as possible by using a fire extinguisher or calling the fire department. Water carries electricity and can result in electrocution, therefore avoid using it to put out an electrical fire.
  4. Ventilate the space by opening the windows and doors to let in fresh air and ventilate the space. This will lessen the possibility of breathing in potentially dangerous gases and help eliminate any residual charred smell.
  5. Contact a qualified electrician. You must speak with a licensed and experienced electrician to inspect and fix the PowerPoint. Solving the issue independently can be exceedingly risky, mainly if you are untrained in electrical work. A qualified electrician will have the knowledge and equipment to identify and safely fix the problem.
  6. Use the PowerPoint sparingly. It is essential to avoid using or plugging anything into the power point until the electrician has inspected and fixed it. Using a defective power outlet puts you at risk for electrical shocks, fires, and further electrical system harm.
  7. Examine nearby outlets. While you wait for the electrician, look at nearby electrical outlets. Observe any damage indicators, such as scorch marks and discoloured outlets. Notify the electrician of them if present. This preventative measure can assist in identifying potential problems before they worsen.
power point on fire
PowerPoint sparking can eventually lead to fires

What are the causes?

The two main likely causes of sparking or burning PowerPoint are faulty wiring and circuit overloads. Faulty wires can limit the free flow of electricity. As a result, the PowerPoint can overheat and spark.

Circuit overloads occur when too many appliances are connected to a singular PowerPoint. Every PowerPoint is rated at a certain capacity. If you surpass the capacity, the likelihood of an overload drastically increases. The overload creates heat, resulting in the smouldering of wires. This can create a burning smell.

Remember that handling electrical problems is dangerous. You must act immediately to save yourself, your loved ones, and your property. Put safety first, and seek professional help.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find your local installer